Violet Box August 2014 - unboxing and first impressions

/
0 Comments

SHE'S HERE!

I thought she'd never arrive ; )

There have been some complaints on FB about the late box this month; however this is the first time VB has ever been late (the box was maybe a week late or a bit less, looking at their normal postage dates), so all's forgiven.


Now this will be a short post, because I have to rush off soon to meet Dad for brunch (didn't this happen last month with Violet Box? Must be something about Wednesday deliveries!).

Note: I had a sick feeling in my gut as I opened this. All I wanted was the Be a Bombshell Eyeshadow Quad in Madrid, but would have settled for Bora Bora. And I got...New York City. The ONLY one I didn't want or need. ARGH. Might have to hit that VB Swap group shortly.


Here's what we received:


Camille Beckman Glycerine Hand Therapy (RRP $18 for 6oz; received 7.1g sample)

I'm looking forward to trying this one, and it's indeed a good handbag size (as noted on the product card). It's listed as a rich cream that goes on smoothly and restores much-needed moisture. Bring it.

UPDATE: I've used this now and love it - almost as much as I love my Burt's Bees Almond & Milk hand cream. It's super rich and just what my dry hands need right now. Lovely smell and cute packaging. Big ticks! Also, since I had a truckload of VB points to use up, I went and bought the full size in the Tuscan Honey 'flavour'. That's how much I loved it : )

Appelles Rosemary Body Bar Soap (RRP $5.95; received full size)

Another one! First LHI, then Bellabox and now VB. Ha. At least my husband uses (and likes) them. I won't bother commenting on it for the moment, since many of you have likely received one of these before.

UPDATE: As I've mentioned previously, this is a really lovely soap and it's probably Mex's favourite of all the soaps he's been lucky enough to receive from my subscription boxes. I have tried it myself and it's a great cleanser that smells wonderful, and the rosemary bits seem to have an exfoliating effect. While I doubt I'll ever convert from gel to soap (never say never!), I can confirm this is a nice product.


Foltene Eyelash Treatment (RRP $20.95 for 10ml; looks like a full-sized item)

I'm interested in this one. My eyebrows grow like never-ending weeds so I won't be using this on them (which you can also do), but my lashes are the shortest in my rather large and rather well-lashed extended family. Foo. Anyhoo, I'm totally up for something that can promote natural growth, and that's safe for sensitive eyes and dermatologically tested. It's also meant to restore dry, thin and fragile lashes that easily fall out.

UPDATE: I've been using this since we received it, and while I haven't noticed any changes yet, I'll keep you posted. It goes on like a mascara and you're meant to apply it both morning and evening. One thing I'll say about it: it's one of those 'extra/unfamiliar' steps in your routine, so I've had to leave it right in front of the bathroom mirror so I can see it each day and not forget to use it (which is easy to do).


Be a Bombshell Eyeshadow Quad in New York City (RRP $22; received full size)

Boo hoo hoo. That's all I have to say about this for the moment (!), other than that it's meant to be a highly pigmented and long-lasting formula for all day wear.

UPDATE: Well, I couldn't swap this because it looks like we all received the same one! Not happy Jane : ( Most reviews/comments I've read have called for one of the other colours: I only saw one blogger who was glad she'd received this one. 

In the end I decided to keep it, rather than give it away - so I have used it a bit now and can comment. (Full review here.) In sum, it's a decent product and well-priced, and lasts reasonably well. It goes on smoothly and is easy to apply. The only interesting colour of the bunch is the pale frosty green one (top right) and there's too much similarity between the white and silver when applied. It's not a product I'll use a hell of a lot unfortunately.


Evelyn Iona Lipgloss in Val (RRP $20.50; received full size)

Val... A boring nude/brown colour, and one I already have from two other brands. In fact the aptly named Val was so boring that I forgot to picture her the first time and had to quickly take a photo before I posted this! What I'll do with this one is a swatch so I can review it, then see if anyone wants to do swapsies in the FB Violet Box Swap group. Note: it's certified organic and preservative free, which is of course a draw card.

UPDATE: I have attempted to swap this one, but turns out no one wants the colour! Here are the swatches:


As you can see below, there's not much going on in terms of colour (and it's actually the same colour as my lips when used, so it may as well be a clear product).

It's nice enough to wear, but since I don't need a gloss like this (I have plenty), I know exactly whom to give it to: a dear friend of mine who has super sensitive skin and doesn't wear much make up - I reckon she'll love it.


Verdict

Five min before I have to leave so I'll be quick! This is actually an incredibly good and interesting box (nothing in there bores me - except Val of course ; )), the only 'meh' product really being the Appelles soap, because I've received it twice before. 

It's funny, if I'd have received the eyeshadow and lip gloss in ANY of the other colours available for either, I'd have been over-mooned! But, it's all the luck of the draw, yes?

Thanks Violet Box for another great month.

To join Violet Box, click the ad on the right of my blog or visit here. Use the code VIOLETBOX10 for $10 off your first box.


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.