Marie Claire's The Parcel, Spring Edit - unboxing and first impressions

/
0 Comments

Hooray hooray The Parcel showed up today!

Unfortunately I kinda knew what was coming because I accidentally saw a spoiler online - and then I went and made it worse by doing a Google search to find a review and check I'd seen what I thought I'd seen haha.


The Parcel is the newest addition to the Oz beauty subscription box list and there's been a lot of hype about it. From what I've seen online, those who have received theirs seem really happy with it.

I'm going to go against the general consensus and say that, while I'm not unhappy, I'm not that excited by the contents. I think this is because I've heard of - and used - all the brands included and I've already tried (or at least sampled) almost everything that's in there. 

Plus I probably got the worst colours I could have received for the lipstick and nail polish, which is always a risk when it comes to sub boxes. Still, it's a good value bundle and I can see why many are raving about it.


Let's have a look. As always I'll do an initial review and then either update this post or write separate full reviews of the products when I've used them.


Yeah. Nothing in there gave me that jump of excitement you expect to get from at least one item in a subscription box. Sad face! ; )


Benefit They're Real! Mascara and They're Real! Push-up Liner (RRP $38 and $35 respectively for the full sizes; received sample sizes)

I reckon I must be one of the few people on the planet who doesn't like the Benefit They're Real! Mascara (yeah, I know - I'm weird). 

I got a sample of this in a past sub box and ended up giving it to a friend because it just doesn't look natural. On me, it makes my lashes look chunky and obviously coated. I prefer lengthening (rather than thickening) mascaras and this product doesn't work for me. Having said this, it's a good inclusion and I know most lasses will be thrilled about it.

I haven't tried the push up liner so I'm happy to give it a go, but I moved away from using gel liners ages ago - I don't like a severe line. Still, I can soften it by blending shadow over the top and that's likely what I'll do.


L'Oreal Paris Elnett Satin Purse-size Hairspray (RRP $4.95)

I don't use hairspray (come to think of it, I don't know anyone who does). It's supposed to be an amazing product that provides long-lasting hold with movement, and can be brushed out at the end of the day without leaving any crunchiness. Guess I should at least try it before giving it away ; )

Pantene Pro-V Moisture Renewal Shampoo and Conditioner (RRP $4.99 each for 200ml; received sample sizes)

I already own these and use them. This is what I mean about The Parcel not containing any 'surprise' or interesting products. I like Pantene products. These travel sizes are handy. That's all there is to say.

UPDATE: I do love Pantene hair products. I know many don't, but they've always done wonders for my dry hair and it's a brand I know I can rely on.

From what I can tell, Pantene's range isn't as good if your hair isn't dry, damaged and frizzy etc - but if it is and like me you have issues finding products that are heavy enough but don't weigh your hair down, then this is a brand to try.


Gwen Stefani by O.P.I Nail Lacquer (RRP $19.95; received full size)

Why oh why do companies like sending me glitter nail polish?! My golly - it's like I've got a big sign on my head or something hehe. Hoh well. I do like O.P.1 nail polishes; it's just that I don't do glitter. One for the presents pile!

Revlon ColorStay Moisture Stain (RRP $25.95; received full size in 040 Shanghai Sizzle)

These are good. While I don't own one, I've mucked around with them in Priceline and Chemist Warehouse a number of times. They give a lovely wet look and I do like them. 

But I received the worst possible shade for me! Red doesn't suit me at all unfortunately, and my husband hates anything in the red department (long story). Oh well, it's all the luck of the draw so I won't complain about getting an unsuitable colour : )


Lancome Visionnaire Advanced Skin Corrector (RRP $97 for 30ml; received sample size)

I was always a Lancome girl until I developed a beauty obsession and fell for other brands. Plus I certainly can't afford Lancome products these days (not that I ever could!). Still, I always head straight for the Lancome skincare counter when in Myer or at airports, so I have sampled this before and it's a lovely product. I'll do a full review of it once I've familiarised myself with it again.

UPDATE: This is a nice product and, while the sample size probably isn't enough to establish just how effective it is over time, it's enough to know that it does seem to have a beneficial impact on the skin's surface - at least in the short term.

After using it my skin feels velvety and looks more refined. Lancome attaches a lot of tall claims to this product, including that it reduces wrinkles and pores, and while I don't think it has any lasting impact on those things, it does have an immediate one.

In short, it's probably not worth the $135 Oz price tag, but it's certainly a pleasure to use.

Verdict

It's a good-value bundle and a reasonable start to The Parcel. It's unfortunate I got the Revlon and O.P.I colours I did - it would have been nice if at least one was a colour I liked - but, as I said, it's all the luck of the draw.

While I'll use most things, I do stand by my initial comment - that being, while I'm not unhappy with the box, I'm not particularly excited about it either. I'm kind of wishing that I hadn't bought it and had instead used that $ for another Memebox! But that's just me ; )

I'd be interested to hear what others thought and whether they were happy with the products.


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.