Violet Box June 2015

/
0 Comments

This showed up yesterday - just making the right month - but unfortunately I wasn't able to sit down to write this review until today because there's a lot going on in our house at the moment and duty called.

Indeed, I didn't even get a chance to open the package until a few hours after it arrived, so it was a good day for its arrival because I needed a happy distraction.


It's Violet Box's birthday month, which explains the addition of the candle. I do love fancy candles so I'm happy with that, although Violet Box really outdid itself with last year's birthday box and I have a feeling that most people will have preferred that one.


Three lip products are in this month's box, so if you're not up for lip products then you might be disappointed. Granted, one of the lip products doubles as a cheek tint, but it's so un-tinted that I'm not sure whether anyone would be able to use it for that purpose.


There's the product card above. My only gripe would be the addition of yet another black eyeliner. I've received enough eyeliners from subscription boxes in the past year to colour a white horse black, and I don't use black eyeliners so there's a 'lost' product each time.

If only we could receive something in grey or brown for something different.


Gascoigne & King Candles (RRP $25 for 200g)

Apparently this candle is rich and sumptuous, and a favourite from this particular brand. It will leave a lasting scent and has a 25-hour burn.

While I do love my candles, this one smells far too sweet for me: I could smell it even before I'd opened the internal box from my package. Hopefully it won't smell quite so sweet once it starts burning.

Still, I'll definitely use it and I'm happy with the inclusion.


Mullein & Sparrow Tinted Lip & Cheek Balm (RRP $22)

Now this was open when the box arrived - as in, the lid was on the other side of the box to the base - and it had little bits of crepe paper stuck to it. I'm not sure when this happened and whether the product is ok, so I might wait to see what others have to say about it and then contact VB for a replacement if need be.

There's the product below:


I did try to swatch it but it's barely tinted and doesn't show up on me at all. It's apparently an all natural tinted balm to give your lips and cheeks a slight flush and dewy finish. I'd be surprised if it showed up on anyone, but maybe I got a dud.

I do like the cute packaging though! Might be one of those products that I like in theory but not in practice.


Doucce Ultra Precision Eyeliner (RRP $30)

This is apparently a moulded, waterproof eyeliner. Ultra precise, it provides a soft application that lasts. The smooth and velvety waterproof formula glides on easily for seamless blending.

There's a swatch below:


I gave it a gentle wipe after a minute:


The smudging above isn't too bad, so this might actually be a decent eyeliner. I'll give it a crack but I'd say it's destined for the present pile because I won't use it.

Hoh well. You can't win 'em all.


Starlooks 'Cuddle' Lip Gloss (RRP $14)

This is apparently a non-stick formula that has an exotic vanilla scent. It's a creamy, glassy, long-lasting gloss that adds a glistening effect to any look.

There's what it looks like:


I've just finished off a couple of glosses so I'm happy to add another one to my dwindling stash. My lips are always dry and I go through glosses like no tomorrow.


Jing Ai Velvet Shine Lip Jewel Lip Crayon in Pink-A-Boo (RRP $29)

This apparently gives your lips a powerful dose of long-lasting colour. The formula is infused with 100% natural macadamia oil, shea butter and jojoba seed oil.

There's the colour:


I haven't swatched it because I'm not sure whether I'll keep it: pink really doesn't suit me. But I've seen a few people mention on FB that they really love this product, so I'll keep an open mind and look out for swatches before using it. If it's not my colour, it's destined for the presents pile.

Verdict

The RRP value of this box clocks in at $120 so it's a good-value little package. I'm happy with it, but wish the eyeliner and lip crayon were in different colours - or that at least people were given a variety of colours so it would be possible to hit the FB Violet Box swap group if you didn't like what you got.

The candle is a nice inclusion for VB's birthday month and I'll definitely use it.

This box isn't my favourite one of late, but I do think it's a good one.




You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.