Lust Have It July 2015

/
0 Comments

After hearing the very sad news that Violet Box was closing operations - and after seeing how amazing July's Lust Have It box was - I did what I think many people have done and resubscribed to LHI.

I was assured that, yes, I would be receiving the July box - which was a little cheeky I reckon because those of us who subscribed after seeing what the box contained didn't receive the best item in there (a full sized Racinne skincare product) - so while the rest of the products still represent a decent box, I'm disappointed about that.

Hoh well. At least I only paid $9.95 for it because I used the offer that LHI had sent around via email.



There's a good mix of products in this one. I'm most excited about the Paula's Choice serum because I'm low on serums so this has delayed a purchase.

What I'm not so happy about is the replacement I got for the Racinne product - a Marsk eyeshadow that's a leftover from a previous box. I already have two of these and they're not great (too sparkly, don't adhere well etc), but at least I don't have this particular colour, so that's something.


There's the product card above. I've seen that some lasses got a Marsk black eye pencil instead of the shadow I got. I'm so glad I didn't get that - LHI has sent out a ridiculous amount of black eyeliners over the past 18 months and I'm still trying to find a home for the last few I received because I won't use them.

Anyhoo. As always I'll do an initial review and unboxing post now, and I'll update it later once I've used everything and can comment on the contents properly.


Paula's Choice Resist Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum (RRP $52 for 30ml; received 7ml sample)

I'm pretty sure I've used this before but I don't remember what it was like. It's apparently an exclusive formula that utilises a proprietary blend of highly stabilised retinol, potent anti-oxidants and skin-repairing ingredients; and its soothing, silky texture goes to work immediately to help skin of any age look and act younger.

Sounds good to me! I don't have an open serum at the moment so I can start using this straight away.


Be a Bombshell Lip Gloss in Saucy (RRP $21 for 3g; received full size)

I've received quite a few products from this brand via Violet Box and everything has been reasonable quality (except the eyeshadows) so I'm glad to try one of these - unfortunately I received the one colour that I won't wear. Foo!

It's apparently a gloss that offers long-lasting colour and high shine. There it is swatched below:


And below I've sheered it out:


Hopefully it doesn't make my lips too red. If it does, I'll send it to a better home because red doesn't suit me. If I'm lucky I might be able to pick up a different colour via the Facebook LHI Swap Group.


 Be a Bombshell The One Stick in Southern Belle (RRP $24 for 7g; received full size)

Thankfully I got a colour I can wear this time. I've actually used one of these before (from Violet Box) but the colour didn't suit me so I passed it on.

According to the product card, it's an all-in-one multiple stick with a smooth texture. You can apply it to the lids, cheeks or lips.

There's the colour below:


It's a warm coral that sheers out quite nicely, so I can see myself wearing it in summer. I'll do a full review of the product with better swatches soon : )


Marsk Mineral Eyeshadow in Mudcake (RRP $24.95 for 1.2g; received full size)

Ah, the dreaded Marsk. These little loose powder shadows are apparently 100% natural, mineral based products that are cruelty free.

As mentioned, I already have two of these (see reviews here and here) and I'm sorry to say that I don't think they're great quality. They're not pigmented, they're all too sparkly and they transfer in a heartbeat.

There's a swatch:


 You can see there's not a hell of a lot going on in terms of colour, but there's truckloads going on in terms of glitter.

There we are again:


I can't see myself using this much but I do like Marsk packaging so I have all my Marsk products out on display on my dresser because they look fancy. That's worth something to me at least : )


Hikari Eyeshadow Quad in Zoe (RRP $22.50 for 6g; received full size)

I really don't know what to say about this one. Perhaps my husband summed it up best when I showed it to him: 'Christ. That's hideous.'

!

He's right - it's pretty bad. There's another shot:


The reason I haven't swatched it is because I'm not sure whether or not I'll keep it. The only colour I might potentially use in this quad is on the bottom left (gold), although even that's a weird, trashy kind of gold so it really depends on what it looks like when applied. I'm not sure I'm game to find out.

I'm a little disappointed with this one - I would much have preferred the quad in Emma, for example, which is light-years more wearable than this one.

The colours in Zoe are described as 'violet' (that'd be the radioactive purple), 'haze' (I guess that's the molten bronze that will be a nightmare in terms of fall-out - I'm prepared to put money on it), 'champagne' (that's not champagne - sorry - it looks more like fake buried treasure) and 'coal'. They all look powdery to me, but I'll reserve judgement on that for when I test the quad, if I do.

My husband wanted me to gift this to someone but I don't know anyone who'd wear it. It might be destined for the swap group, or alternatively I'll try it and then save it for my daughter to use wet for painting when she's old enough.

If I try it and actually like it, I'll eat my words - promise!


Bonus product: Garnier Fructis Full and Luscious Shampoo and Conditioner (RRP $5.95 each for 250ml; received 2 x 10ml samples)

These apparently create beautifully thicker hair that you can see, feel and touch. I haven't had a great deal of luck with Garnier as a brand but I'm happy to give these a go and see how they fare.

In sum

I think this is a good value and interesting box overall, but as mentioned, I just wish I'd received the Racinne skincare item - which was the main reason I re-subbed to LHI in the first place.

I'm happiest with the serum because I need one, and the one stick will get used because I like the colour. Otherwise this probably wasn't the best value box for me personally because I don't like the colours of the other three makeup items.

Hoh well. I'll see what the next box is like and go from there.




You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.