Most disappointing products of 2015

/
0 Comments
I hadn't thought of doing one of these posts, but I've seen a lot of people write or film one and I always like reading/watching them so I decided it was a good idea.

It's been a bit of a headache though, I must say, since I haven't made a note of disappointing products throughout the year - meaning I've had to go over all my posts and pick out the over-hyped products that I just didn't like.

Also, it's worth saying that of course not every product works for everyone, so if you see one of your favourites in my 'disappointing products', don't stress - it's not that they're terrible products, it's just that they didn't work for me.

All the brands I mention below are decent brands, but it's impossible to like every single product from a particular company - so just because these products didn't work for me, doesn't mean I don't like the brands that made them.

So without further ado, and in no particular order:


Australis AC On Tour Contouring & Highlighting Kit

I've reviewed this here. You may remember that it was this product that caused me to break my spending ban: it was so over-hyped and always sold out, so when I saw it in my local Priceline I thought I'd better buy it.

Big mistake! Like many people I reckon the highlighter shades are ok but the contour ones are terrible - muddy and patchy and impossible to blend. Plus they sit in pores and I don't think I've ever used a powder that does that. I wouldn't go near this product again.


Benefit Coralista Blush

So many people love this blush but it just didn't work for me. Maybe the quality of the blush in this kit isn't as good as the full-sized item, although I've seen a lot of people say they're the same so I'm going to assume that they are. Full review here.

The problem with this blush was that the colour just didn't show up on me well at all - it was too icy and pale - meaning I had to add a lot to get any colour, but it looked powdery when I did that so I couldn't wear it that way either. Maybe it just didn't suit my particular skintone, but it should have because I've seen many people with my colouring wear it, so I've no idea why it didn't work for me but it was an epic fail because I was expecting to love it and I really didn't.


Origins Super Spot Remover Blemish Treatment Gel

Full review here. I read some glowing reviews of this product and I love Origins as a brand, so I was expecting to love this product but it did nothing for me.

It's a sticky gel that smells strongly of cloves and it leaves a film on my face that feels uncomfortable and yuck. On top of that, it did nothing for my blemishes and I started to wonder when I was using it whether it made me breakout more, because I got so many spots when using this and I couldn't think of anything else that could have caused them.

Also, some people find this product really irritating (and it does contain irritating ingredients) so it's worth testing this first if you have sensitive skin.


Nars Sheer Glow Foundation

I know, I know - shoot me now! So many people rave about this product but it just doesn't work for my skin. I've reviewed it here.

Aside from the fact that it's not named well because it's not sheer and it's not glowy, this one looks like a mask on me - no matter how much I dilute it. On top of that, on my skin it pools in pores, emphasises texture like dry patches, and somehow makes my dry skin oily (which no product has done before). 

I'm definitely in the minority here but I just don't like this foundation. I know plenty of people who look good in this though, so it obviously just doesn't suit my skin.


Clarins Be Long Mascara

Full review here. I received this mascara as a gift and I didn't open it for a few months because I wanted to save it for a special occasion: it's packaged so beautifully and I'd read such great reviews of it that I was super excited to try it.

Unfortunately it did nothing for me - it didn't lengthen or thicken my lashes at all - and there seemed no point in wearing it! What a let down. Don't you hate it when that happens?


Buxom Full On Lip Polish

This was another product I was expecting to love because I'd heard such good things about it and I do love a decent lip gloss. Unfortunately this one really stings my lips. I guess that's the plumping thing but the stinging doesn't fade for ages and I find it really uncomfortable to wear. I've reviewed it here.

It may be that my lips are more sensitive than I thought, but I can't stand wearing this one and my lips suffer when I do because it dries them out as well.


Benefit They're Real! Push Up Liner

I've seen this one on a few people's 'over-hyped' or 'disappointing' products lists so I'm not the only one who didn't like it. Full review here.

It's not easy to get the hang of this product, and even when you do, application is still fiddly and I'm not always guaranteed good results so it's an unreliable product. The liner dries quickly and you can wind up with little black bits that fall off or stick along the lashline, which doesn't help when it comes to getting an even line because the tip runs over them and makes things wonky and patchy. Not a fan!


Ren Keep Young and Beautiful Instant Firming Beauty Shot

I love some of Ren's products and this one is well-loved by many, but unfortunately it just doesn't work for my skin. Foo! I've reviewed it here.

I have dry skin and I find this product really drying on me, so much so that I've often had to wash it off because it makes my skin feel so horrible. I did speak to a Mecca staff member about this and she suggested putting it over my moisturiser (rather than underneath, as the product instructions say), but even then I can't use this because it's so uncomfortable and leaves my skin feeling parched and tight. Damn! I so wanted to love this one.


KUU Konjac Sponge with French Red Clay

Full review here. This one sounded so good because you can apparently use it without cleanser and it's meant to do a number of things like reduce fine lines, stimulate regeneration and soothe the skin etc, but not only did it do nothing for my skin, it was a hassle to use because you need to rinse it each time and rehydrate it before the next use.

Plus mine started to look like something had eaten away at it (see the photo above) within less than two months. Yuck. I wouldn't go near this one again.


Benefit Cha Cha Tint

Yep, another Benefit product. Looks like the brand just doesn't agree with me! Full review here.

I was super excited about this one because I love orange and I like tints because they tend to look more natural and they're easy to blend, but this one isn't good. It leaves you with red streaks because it dyes the skin before you can blend it out, no matter how fast you are. 

I'm not the first person to have said this about this tint, so it's not just me! I can only wear this on my lips due to the streaking issue and I don't like it for that either because it's drying, but I'm determined to finish it - which is why it's on my Project Pan list.


Ilia Lipstick in Funnel of Love

Full review here. I ummmed and ahhhed about including this product but I've decided to because of what happened to mine: it grew mould.

That's right. Furry, dark, disgusting mould.

This happened within two months of opening the product, and when I first saw the mould I freaked out and wiped it off, and when I opened the product again a week or so later, the mould was back with a vengeance. Needless to say, I returned it and the staff member who processed the return looked completely revolted when she saw it.

It was bad.

On top of that, despite being a gorgeous colour in beautiful packaging, the product was drying on my lips and tugged when applied. 

In sum

I don't think anyone really loves going on about products they haven't liked because it's negative and often the brands talked about create some great products. Having said this, I for one like reading these sorts of posts because I find them useful, and I know others feel the same so that's why I wanted to write one.

Do let me know if you found any products this year that didn't work for you. It's always useful to hear what others have to say - particularly because it can stop you from making a bad purchase.


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.