Makeup wishlist: holiday 2017

/
0 Comments

I realised earlier this week that I haven't done a wishlist post all year. Oops! I started those last year and meant to keep them going, because I find them useful and I also like to see everything written down.

What I find with wishlists is that, I'll write them and when I return to them later, I'll always realise that I no longer want everything on the list. So if you're an impulse buyer and/or want to curb spending, start writing wishlists - and don't buy anything until it's been on your list for a while. If you still want it after a couple of months, then it's safe to say that you do really want it.


If you're interested in seeing my last makeup wishlist, it's here. On that list I included items from Hourglass, Becca, Laura Mercier, Tarte, Anastasia Beverly Hills and Urban Decay that I had my eye on for holiday 2016. 

In the end I only bought the products from Hourglass, Becca and ABH: I decided that I didn't desperately need the others and I'm happy I kept my purchasing down to those levels.

This year I've already seen some holiday purchases that have caught my eye, so I'll share those with you now and then come back in a couple of months to let you know which ones I ended up buying. It may be that we see some other holiday releases between now and then, so my list could also expand.


*Image courtesy of beautyalmanac.com

Hourglass Ambient Metallic Strobe Lighting Palette

When I first saw this and read that it contained all-new shades, I knew that it would be mine. I have two Hourglass highlighters and they're my absolute favourites, so I can't say no to this one.

Apparently these are more intense than the Ambient Strobe Lighting Powders, and while I do prefer a more natural highlight, I'm sure that you'll be able to apply less if you want to keep things lower key. I've also heard that these don't emphasise texture (no Hourglass powders I've tried do that) so I reckon I'll love these as much - if not more - than the original versions.

The palette contains the following shades:
  • Absolute Strobe Light: a soft pink metallic pearl powder for a captivating highlight
  • Pure Strobe Light: a pale gold metallic pearl powder for an exquisite highlight
  • Lucent Strobe Light: a rose gold metallic pearl powder for a magnetic highlight

I don't even need to see this in person. It's a blind-buy for me and my husband has already been informed that he'll be seeing a Mecca purchase on the credit card as soon as it's released ; )


* Image courtesy of temptalia.com

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Edit Volume 3

Yep, more Hourglass. What a surprise. To start with I wasn't going to buy this palette because it contains two powders I already own (Dim Light and Luminous Bronze Light), plus I wasn't sure about that pink-looking blush so I thought I would skip this year's edit.

However, I've now seen swatches and reviews - and apparently the pink blush has a good dose of coral in it. Since coral is my favourite colour, I've decided that I just might need it.

Plus the plum blush pulls more nude on the skin than you might think, given how intense it looks in the pan, and I've always wanted to try Diffused Light (the pale yellow) so now I can do that without buying the full size. Also, I only have a mini of the bronzer and I'm halfway through that already, and Dim Light is my favourite makeup product of all time so I don't mind having another one.

See how I've talked myself into it?! Can't wait. I use last year's edit ALL the time because it's so handy having a palette full of Hourglass, so I know that I'll use this to death.


*Image courtesy of trendmood1, reproduced here

Kat Von D Saint & Sinner Palette

I'm not going to lie, I want this purely for the packaging. I mean, look at it! Plus I own Kat Von D's Shade & Light Palette (the one everyone loves) so I already know that I like the formula and I've heard that her holiday releases are the same as her normal releases - unlike eg Too Faced, which tends to cut corners on Christmas releases so the formula isn't the same.

However. While I don't own a lot of the colours in this palette, there's a reason for that: I don't wear bright eyeshadows so I already know from looking at this that I won't touch some of the shades. So although initially this was a definite, it's now moved down to a maybe and the Hourglass palette has knocked this off the list because I know I'll use it more.

The jury's still out, though. I'll wait for swatches, reviews and tutorials to see if this is something that I'll actually use. I won't use the black, the blue or the neon green, but it's possible that I might even use the bright purple and yellow, if I can find a way to make them look more neutral on the eye (I'm almost sure I can).

Watch this space.
*Image courtesy of musingsofamuse.com

Becca Apres Ski Eyeshadow Palette

This is another maybe, but it's leaning on the probably not side. Still, I wanted to include it because not many holiday releases catch my eye. This one did.

Why? Because I love Becca and I also love the two eyeshadow palettes I own from the brand, so I'm not opposed to eventually picking up another one.

The shades in this are Pearl, Rose Quartz, Moonstone, Opal, Topaz, Toasted Marshmallow and Hot Cocoa. So looks like it's a palette that mostly contains shades of Becca's Shimmering Skin Perfectors, and you could always use it on both the face and eyes if you wanted to.

My issue with this palette, however, is that it's all shimmer (so it's not a complete palette for me), plus I already own three of Becca's Shimmering Skin Perfectors - and while only Opal is a repeat shade for me, Becca's older highlighter formula emphasises texture so it's not my favourite, and I don't know yet whether these are the same in formula as Opal and Champagne Pop, or whether they're more like Prismatic Amethyst (which is different: it doesn't emphasise texture).

We'll see about this one. I might just admire it from afar.
*Image courtesy of temptalia.com

Kevyn Aucoin Neo Trio Palette

Ok, so the photo above isn't the photo I'm after - but I can't for the life of me find an available image of the product I'm talking about here (you can see it on Sephora's US website here).

Essentially it's a magnetically designed travel-size face palette that contains a bronzer, highlighter and setting powder. 

The shades are the Neo Setting Powder (which I've heard is more of a highlighter), the Neo-Limelight Highlighter in Ibiza (that's the purple one above) and the Neo-Bronzer in Capri.

I don't own any of these but I do own plenty of powders from Kevyn Aucoin and they're among my favourites, so the idea of having three smaller ones in a magnetic compact (so you can separate them if you want) really appeals.

I'm not sure if we'll be getting this in Australia and I would definitely want to see it in person before buying it, but it's one I'll be looking out for. As for whether I'll purchase it - look, probably not. But it's nice to dream.


* Image courtesy of makeupandbeautyblog.com

Becca Shimmering Skin Perfectors (Liquid) in Champagne Pop and Prosecco Pop

Ok, so these aren't holiday releases but I wanted to mention them because at the moment they're the only other makeup items on my wishlist. I don't need any more makeup for now but I am about to finish my last one of these highlighters (that being Opal), and I'll eventually want to replace it because I use liquid highlighters often and these are the best ones I've found so far.

I would like to own both Champagne Pop and Prosecco Pop, just to try something different and because I do like both those shades in the pressed version so why not.

I don't need both but I may well buy both in Sephora's next 20 per cent off sale. We'll see.

In sum

That's all from me! I hope you enjoyed this little post and found something interesting to consider picking up during the festive season.

Do let me know in the comments what you've got your eye on this year: I'd love to hear.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.