The big declutter 2017: sample clear-out with mini reviews #4

/
0 Comments

Three weeks ago I introduced my next round of fun new samples to try (see intro post here), and now that I've had a good play, I'm back to give you my mini reviews.

In no particular order...


La Mav Gradual Tanning Moisturiser in Medium

This is apparently a nourishing blend of argan oil, macadamia oil, camellia oil, cranberry extract and green tea extract, and it should hydrate skin while building a bronze glow. It also contains aloe vera leaf juice and vitamin e to improve skin elasticity and texture for a streak-free tan that lasts.

I do like this and it definitely works as a gradual tanner - to the point where I accidentally applied too much on the first two uses and turned myself rather orange! But if I use a thin layer every couple of days, the product offers a natural, believable tan and I do like the effect it gives.

Mind you, I prefer the facial tanner from St Tropez (reviewed here) because I found that more hydrating and nourishing for my dry skin. While this is reasonably hydrating, the St Tropez version works better for me.

Glamglow Glowstarted Mega Illuminating Moisturiser in Nude Glow

This is described as a nutrient-loaded, light-reflective moisturising cream that replenishes moisture, blurs imperfections and imparts a beautiful glow with a hint of tint.

I hated it. It goes on nicely and feels cooling and hydrating when applied, but within a minute, it dries down to this weird powdery finish and it makes my dry skin feel really tight. Argh.

Plus it adds a coating and it balled up a couple of times when I applied my sunscreen over the top, so it's not something I would personally recommend. It does add some good glow - but not a tint on my light-medium/medium skintone - and it's super expensive for what it is. In my opinion, you're better off going for an illuminating primer or liquid highlighter.


Kevyn Murphy Plumping Wash and Plumping Rinse

Both products are designed to strengthen fine and thinning hair. Apparently they use an exclusive formula of eyelash thickening technology and a complex combination of tripeptides, plant extracts and oleanolic acid. They should promote lengthening of the growing phase of the hair for longer periods and give you thicker, fuller hair.

Ok, so the wash is absolute rubbish. It doesn't clean my hair at all so what I've had to do is double-wash with another shampoo (I always double-wash) and then use this afterwards to see if it did anything else (it didn't).

The conditioner, however, is lovely and it's left my hair feeling super nourished and soft (it smells nice too). Having said this, while I normally get four or five days between washes, with this conditioner my hair is dirty and gross by day two or three. Not ideal.

I didn't notice any plumping with either product - although my hair is textured, frizzy and wavy so perhaps that's why - and you might see more results on fine, straight hair.


Lancôme Advanced Génifique Youth Activating Concentrate

I absolutely love this product and it's an HG serum for me. I've reviewed it here.

What I love about it is that it's one of the few products I've used that generally meets all its claims, so it brightens and boosts radiance, firms and tones the skin, and it has an effect on elasticity too.

It just makes my face look younger and healthier (to the point that other people notice the difference) and it's certainly one I would consider buying once I'm through the back-log of serums in my stores.

Chantecaille Rice and Geranium Foaming Cleanser

Botanically infused, this luxurious foaming cleanser should remove dirt and impurities while gently buffing, polishing and softening the skin. Rice bran exfoliates, geranium helps stimulate the lymphatic system, and soybean, green tea and lime leaves are antioxidants that protect skin from free-radical damage.

I'm planning to review this because you need so little each time that even this sample is lasting me ages, so stay tuned for that if you're interested.

In theory it's a lovely cleanser that foams like crazy and you need such a tiny amount that you could almost - I said almost! - justify dropping $93 AUD for the full size, since it should last three times as long as other cleansers.

However it has a high pH (between 8 and 9, and my pH strips tell me closer to 9), and I could tell as soon as I used it that it stripped my skin so I would be careful of this product: it's not gentle as claimed and I don't think it's the sort of cleanser that's kind to your skin. I can only use it once a week, otherwise I risk drying out my already dry skin.

Oh! It contains soft, round little grains, but they're so sparse that they may as well not have been included because they do bugger all.


La Roche-Posay Toleraine Ultra Nuit

This is described as an intense, soothing treatment for night use. It should relieve any discomfort for ultra-sensitive or allergic skin, and it's designed to target skin irritations. It's free of nasties and dermatologically tested.

It's a super lightweight, gel/cream that's thin and spreads easily. It's fragrance-free and I definitely agree that it's suited to sensitive skin.

However it did absolutely nothing for my dry, dehydrated skin and I didn't find it soothing either - it just felt like another layer of stuff added to my face that did very little. Still, perhaps it's not designed for me so it may work better for those who have irritated, intolerant skin.

Asap Daily Face Cleanser

This is apparently a gentle cleanser that's designed to remove makeup and wash away impurities. It claims to be non-drying and non-clogging, suitable for all skin types and gentle while still being effective. It's also enriched with glycolic acid and white tea.

I really enjoyed this. It's fluid and silky, plus it's nourishing so it feels like it contains some oil. My skin absolutely loved it. I agree that it removes gunk and impurities, and it's gentle while still being effective. It wasn't drying either.

I definitely recommend it, but it's not one I would buy because I'm currently testing a similar product from Alpha-H and I prefer that one (just!), but they're very close in terms of how they feel and what they do, and they're both great products.

In sum

That's all from me! I'm pleased to be through another round of samples and I'm looking forward to clearing out more before the end of the year.

The best products in this lot are the Asap cleanser and the Lancôme serum - the others I can take or leave.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.