Project Dent 2017: Kevyn Aucoin custom palette

/
0 Comments

Hello and welcome to my next round of Project Dent.

I just wound up my last round (see here) and I was asking myself what to dent next, but the answer was staring me straight in the face: it's this palette, full of Kevyn Aucoin eyeshadow duos and singles, as well as the brand's three powder highlighters.

This palette is my pride and joy, and I've spent the last few years collating it - with the last two duos bought for my birthday this year by my family. Yes Kevyn Aucoin powders are expensive, but the vast majority of these were bought for 50 per cent off (or more) every time Beauty Bay or some other retailer had a sale. 

While the shadows have all been discontinued for a while now, I sought them out because I really love the formula - and to be honest I could have bought more, it's just that nothing else will fit (and indeed one half of one of my duos isn't included in this palette because I couldn't squeeze it in).

So, here's what's in the palette:


These are my single Kevyn Aucoin shadows in 104 Soft Clay (top), 108 Faded Heather (middle) and 105 Taupe Grey. From memory I paid between $12 AUD and $15 AUD for each of these, which is nothing like the $40ish you'll often see.

I've had Soft Clay and Faded Heather for perhaps three years now, but Taupe Grey I only bought recently so it hasn't had much use. I'd like to change that over the next few weeks.

Next, the duos.


I have eight in total (so sixteen pans), but one of those shades isn't in this lot for the simple reason that it doesn't fit. The missing shade is from #213 Storm Cloud/Malbec: I removed Storm Cloud because it's a pale grey and I use it the least out of all the shades, especially because I have two other taupe/grey shades in this palette so I didn't need a third.

Let's look at the duos more closely:


So, reading from the top left we have: #211 Soft Shell/Deep Taupe, the Malbec half of #213, then we have the gold from #202 Shimmering Vellum/Shimmering Wheat, then #215 Cool Tan/Ruddy Earth, then the pearl from #202, and lastly #205 Rose Gold/Iced Plum.

As for the other lot:


From the top to the bottom we have: #204 Frosted Leaf/Auburn Shimmer (this is hands-down my favourite duo of them all), then #216 Silvered Lilac/Bloodroses, and finally #208 Frosted Jade/Bronzed.

Most of these were purchased for anything between $22 AUD and $30 AUD, so again, you don't need to pay full price if you've got your eye on any of them. I just thought I'd mention prices because I've seen these for ridiculously high prices and you honestly don't need to pay that for Kevyn Aucoin because a lot of retailers discount these - at least occasionally, if not permanently.

I haven't used 208 much yet so I'm looking forward to giving that one more of a go in the coming weeks; the other two I've used heaps and I love them.

As for the rest of my palette:


These are Kevyn Aucoin's The Celestial Powders: Candlelight (left), Starlight (middle) and Sunlight (right). I can't remember exactly how much I paid for each of these but it was somewhere between $25 AUD and $30 AUD (so basically pharmacy/drugstore prices by Australian standards!).

It took me a long time to get all three of them because they're not often on special, but I was watching out for them so I was lucky to get them when I did.

While I've used Candlelight a lot, Starlight and Sunlight are both newer so I would like to use them more than I have. I haven't reviewed the newer ones yet and I'd also like to do that eventually - perhaps over the next couple of weeks.

In sum

So there you have it, my treasured Kevyn Aucoin collection! Let's see if I can't get some good dips happening in at least some of these shades over the next little while, although there's a lot in this palette so I'm sure that I can't make progress on everything.

My aim is to use it daily until the end of November or beginning of December, and while I don't plan to review the singles and duos that I haven't reviewed yet because you can't buy them anymore, I would like to review Starlight and Sunlight at some point because they're both still available.

Oh! If you're wondering, Kevyn Aucoin powders are very easy to de-pot. I just slide a thin instrument down the gap between the pan and the packaging, and they've all come out without any damage. You may note that Malbec looks a little funky: that's because I dropped it, and not because I ran into issues when de-potting it.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.