2018 skincare no buy

/
0 Comments

Well, I never thought I would say this, but I'm going on another spending ban.

As you may know, I did one of these a couple of years ago and I lasted about ten months without buying any makeup or skincare. It was tough, it was boring and I got really over it by the end - to the point that I promised myself I would never get myself into the situation where I needed to do another one.

But this year I've managed it. I'm not entirely sure how it happened because I haven't gone bonkers or spent more than I have in previous years, but I think it must have occurred because most of my budget went towards skincare and not makeup, haircare or body care - which means that my cupboards are full of skincare but I don't have truckoads of anything else.


I guess the good news is that I can still purchase things so I won't go too nuts while I'm waiting for the spending ban to lift, and indeed I know that I'll be running out of several things like body cream, concealer and tinted moisturiser soon enough.

So although I can buy some things in the months to come, I know that I can't buy any facial skincare. If I do, I'll risk having things go off on me before I have a chance to use them - so I've definitely got the incentive to stop the flow of new products coming in.


And as you may know, Maslow & Co recently closed operations and since that's primarily a skincare box, this means I'll no longer have six boxes arriving each year that contain bundles of skincare for me to try. Yes I'm sad that Maslow is gone, but I suppose it's come at a good time because it will cut off one of the reasons why my stores have become so full.

While there is talk of someone buying-out Maslow, I'm not sure when that will happen and I also don't know whether the buyer will run things as well as they've been run so far, so I'll hold off on resubscribing until I know more. 

I also have no plans to sign up to any of the other boxes that are currently on the Australian market, since I've done my time with sub boxes and Maslow was really the only one that I personally felt was worth it. So at least there'll be no skincare coming in from outside sources for the time being.


As for how long it will last, I realised yesterday that I haven't bought any skincare in December so that's almost one month already, and I'd like to add another five to that so I've done six months total. After that I'll reassess: it may be that I'll have run out of certain things by then and will need to lift the ban to make a few purchases.

In terms of 'rules', for the next six months I'll only buy facial skincare if I happen to run out of something essential (eg I can see myself running out of sunscreen during that time, which I'll obviously need to repurchase), and if I get offered any skincare to test - eg via the review crews I'm part of - then I'm allowed to say yes to that but I'm not allowed to spend eg gift vouchers on skincare because it's less about the money and more about the amount I already have to get through.

What I'll also do is update you at around this time every month, with a view to doing my final post at the end of May/beginning of June 2018. I'll do these posts to help with accountability and also to let you know how I'm going.


In sum

Wish me luck!

I'm looking forward to having a six-month dry patch for skincare and seeing how much I can get through during that time. Thankfully a lot of the stuff I have is skincare kits, which mostly contain smaller deluxe samples and travel sizes - so I should be able to kick out quite a lot reasonably quickly and not get too stuck in particular products.

Mind you, I do have a lot of full-sized masks to use up (that's probably my worst category) and I don't get through those easily so there's much work to be done.

I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to do an inventory for skincare (as I've done for makeup) because there's a lot of work involved in those, but perhaps it would be a good idea.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


*All images courtesy of unsplash.com


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.