2018 makeup no buy: essential purchase #1

/
0 Comments

Back in January 2018 I started a makeup no buy, and I've done well with it so far.

Yesterday however we went to Chadstone to get my licence renewed and I told my husband that I would buy buying a brow pencil from Mecca while we were there, since I've run out of mine and I needed a replacement. 

So that's what I did.


If you're interested in seeing my initial no buy post, it's here.

In that post I talk about the reasons for my no buy (basically finances) and I also mention the 'rules' of my spending ban. Yes I'm on a blanket ban for both makeup and skincare, but I'm also allowed to replace anything I run out of - in this case my brow pencil.

I previously had two brow pencils, one darker one and another that's too pale for me (it came as a GWP in a Priceline goodies bag), and since I recently finished the darker one and have been struggling without it, I've been on the lookout for one this week.

I did look at the brow pencils in Priceline and Chemist Warehouse but couldn't find any that suited my needs, and nothing's on special at the moment so I would have been paying close to what I paid for mine in Mecca anyway. That's why I went ahead and bought one from a high-end brand.


I looked at the available offerings in Mecca and Mecca Maxima, and it was a toss up between one from Kevyn Aucoin and one from Urban Decay. Both suited my 'requirements' - they're both skinny twist-up arrangements with spoolies on the end, and both brands are cruelty free - but I went for the Urban Decay because it's a little paler.

With my brows as dark as they are, I need something that's cooler and paler than them or they look too block-y, and while the Kevyn Aucoin is cooler, it's also a little darker and that's why I went for the Urban Decay. Fingers crossed it works for me. I might try the Kevyn Aucoin next time.

I never considered buying an expensive brow pencil before because you can get some great ones in the chemist (although not in my local chemists, apparently), but the reality is that I don't use mine every day (I use shadows on my brows unless we're going out), so I know that a standard brow pencil lasts me between a year and 18 months. I reckon that's reason enough to buy a nice one with a good spoolie on the end! Especially because I don't own a separate spoolie and the one I've been using has fallen off the pencil I had previously, so it's been a nightmare to use.


Anyhoo. That's all from me. I just wanted to let you know that I've made a single, necessary makeup purchase (if makeup is ever 'necessary' ; )) but my no buy is still going strong and I'm still planning to keep going with it until June. 

After that I'll lift it for a month (June being my birthday month) and then I may well restart it afterwards because I would like to curb my spending this year, and no buys are a great way to do that.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


* All images courtesy of unsplash.com


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.