February 2018 empties #1

/
0 Comments

Hello and welcome to my first empties post for February.

It hasn't been a great start to the year for me and I only had one round of empties last month (normally I have at least two), but I'm hoping this month might be a little better. We'll see, though: I have contact dermatitis so I can't put as many products on my skin as I normally would, which is slowing me down. Hoh well.

In no particular order...


Batiste Dry Shampoo (Wild)

Full review here. This is a really excellent dry shampoo and I'm glad I found the range. It does exactly what it says it will do: it makes my hair look/feel cleaner and fresher, plus it adds body and texture to boot. 

Not only this, it also works if eg you've used a product that's left your hair feeling heavy and coated, so if I've used a shampoo/conditioner combo that's left a film, a few sprays of this will manage the issue well. Plus it makes my hair easier to brush, adds some shine and also makes my hair feel softer. Love. Repurchase? Already have.

The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution

I've tried quite a few products from The Ordinary so far and I have a few more waiting to be tested, and this is one of the best ones I've found to date. I've reviewed it here.

It's a decent, affordable glycolic acid product that works as you'd hope - so it resurfaces, plumps and brightens the skin - and I think it has an effect on tone and clarity too. Sure, it's not as good as my beloved Alpha-H Liquid Gold, but I reckon it's better than eg Pixi's offering and you really can't beat the price. Recommended. Repurchase? Yes.


Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm

Full review here. Some products are raved about and don't live up to their hype, but I reckon this one does. I'd been wanting to try it for ages and I'm glad that I have now: it's a great little product and one that's worth testing.

It's a solid balm that melts on contact with the skin, and a little goes a long way so even this 15ml tub lasted me a good while. It does a great job of removing makeup and grime from the face, so it's a good one to try if you're after a gentle, effective makeup remover. I also don't think it's too badly priced because the full-size should last ages, so it's one to keep in mind. Repurchase? Yes.

Clinique Moisture Surge and Moisture Surge Intense

I've used the original Moisture Surge before and really enjoyed it, but I hadn't tried the Moisture Surge Intense so it was nice to try them alongside each other.

Funnily enough, I think the original product is a lot more moisturising than the Intense version, which baffled me a bit because of course you'd expect the latter to be, well, more intense.

They're both more like gel-creams in texture and they apply well, and while the original Moisture Surge hydrates my dry skin enough to keep it feeling comfortable, the Intense version doesn't and I found myself feeling very dry underneath it.

Also, both products leave a coating on the skin so that's something to be aware of, and while I think the original product is good, it's not the best moisturiser I've found in this price bracket (or below it) so it's not one I would buy. Purchase? No to both.


Omorovicza Deep Cleansing Mask

Full review here. Last year I bought a five-piece set from Omorovicza and this was my least favourite item of the five. Plus the full size costs a whopping $112 AUD so I personally wouldn't waste my money on it.

It's a standard-looking clay mask that's quite thin in texture. While it doesn't feel uncomfortable on my dry skin as it dries down (or after I wash it off), the problem is that it doesn't really do anything for me. Yes my skin looks a little brighter after use and yes it feels a touch more refreshed, but I've used budget masks that do the same thing so I certainly wouldn't pay over a hundred dollars for this.

I also don't feel that it does anything towards detoxifying my face or drawing out impurities, so using this product is always a waste of time for me and I'm glad I've finished it. Repurchase? No.

Darphin Aromatic Cleansing Balm with Rosewood

I've used quite a few Darphin products over the past year and from memory this is the only one that didn't work well for me. I've reviewed it here.

It has a weird, almost plastic-y and over-processed texture, and it doesn't melt into the skin as well as other balms do (so my skin feels dry underneath it). Plus it doesn't do a great job of makeup removal and it's also something of a bugger to remove. You'll definitely need a cloth to remove it, and even then I need to hack away at it to get it off. Not Darphin's best product. Repurchase? No.


Dermalogica UltraCalming Mist

I haven't reviewed this product and I'd meant to, but the thing is, I'm not sure that it was ok when I started using it: I have a feeling that it might have started to turn. Why? Because it smelled like plastic and I don't think it should have.

Also, this came in a kit and when I received the set, it looked rather old so I contacted Dermalogica to ask about the batch code numbers of each product (I wanted to know their manufacture dates), and all Dermalogica was prepared to say was 'they're well within expiry', which isn't the specific information I was asking for. Hmmm. They also told me to contact the vendor in question if I was unhappy with my purchase (in other words: 'this has nothing to do with us, take it up with them').

By comparison, I contacted Alpha-H a while back because I'd received a GWP and suspected it was off, and Alpha-H sent me a jumbo-sized replacement for the product, no questions asked. I wasn't expecting that - I just wanted to know if the product should have smelled the way it did - so it was a nice surprise, especially considering that I didn't pay for the product, nor did I order from Alpha-H directly (the GWP came along with an order from one of the big online vendors).

So ticks to Alpha-H and boo to Dermologica. If I needed a reason not to buy from Dermalogica again, this is it.

Oh, the mist? Who knows what it was like. I barely remember it, except for the plastic smell. Repurchase? No.

Clinique High Impact Mascara

I haven't reviewed this yet either but that's because I have another one so I'll just review that when I open it (I was drowning in review posts for a while there - still am, to be honest - so I let this one slide until next time).

I liked it. It was one of those mascaras that got better with age and I wanted to finish this travel-sized tube, but by the end it was irritating my eyes because it had been open for more than three months so it was time to call it a day. It offered good length and volume, and it didn't smudge or flake. Winning. Purchase? Maybe.


Nuxe Nuxellence Eclat Anti-ageing Day Serum

Full review here. This also came from Maslow & Co and I didn't mind it but it wasn't amazing so it's not one I would buy.

It was quite a thick serum and I prefer my serums to be thinner, and while I can't say for sure that it interfered with my moisturiser's ability to absorb, it did leave a coating on my face so I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Also, it was rather greasy and while that's fine for my dry skin in winter, if you don't like oily products, this mightn't be for you. Purchase? No.

Dermalogica UltraCalming Serum Concentrate

This was another product from the aforementioned Dermalogica kit and I'm not sure whether this was in good shape either because it had separated in the tube. See my comments on the mist and my experience with Dermalogica above.

I wanted to include this and the mist in my empties so you know that I've used them, but unfortunately I'm not sure how helpful my comments on them will be because I don't think they were in their prime. But I did want to tell you about my experience with Dermalogica: it's one that I think needs to be shared. Purchase? No.

Ren Flash Rinse 1 Minute Facial

Full review here. I LOVE this product and you're probably sick of hearing me rave about it so I'll be brief.

Essentially it's one of those products that does everything it says it will do - revitalises and rejuvenates, firms and tones, plumps the skin - and it does all this in one minute. My golly! I recently posted on the single skincare item I would pick from particular brands, and this was my choice for Ren. Yes Ren has other products that I love, but this one does a lot in one little minute so that's why it won. So good. Repurchase? Yes.

In sum

That's all from me!

I hope you enjoyed this little empties post and found something new in here to try.

Do let me know in the comments if you've finished anything amazing recently: I'd love to hear.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.